Credit Card Scams for Police
- Whenever you receive the card from the bank make sure the mail is completely sealed and there is no damage.
- Whenever you receive the card from the bank immediately sign on the card.
- Try to cover the last three digit number behind the card (CVV number).
- Register your phone number to check the account transactions.
- Change the pin number immediately.
Secure usage of Credit/Debit cards at Shopping malls and Restaurants:
- Always keep an eye how the vendor swipe your card
- Always make sure that the transactions happen at your presence.
- Never sign a blank credit card receipt. Carefully draw a line through blank portions of Receipt
- Don't give away your personal/Debit/Credit Card information in the survey forms given in the Restaurants/ Shopping malls.
Secure usage of Credit / Debit card over Internet
- Always use secure websites for transaction and shopping.
- Always shop with merchants you know and trust
- Please look for signs of security.
- Use only trusted payment gate ways, online money wallets.
- Prefer net banking transactions when you do online payments through debit card.
- Treat all e-mail messages with suspicion to avoid phishing scams. Do not respond to e-mail messages asking for personal information including financial information, as banks do not ask for such information.
- Always log off from any website after completing online transaction with your credit/ debit card and delete the browser cookies.
- Never store your credit/ debit card information in online shopping sites.
- Never send payment information via e-mail. Information that travels over the Internet (such as e-mail) may not fully protect from being read by outside parties.
- Please be careful when providing personal online.
- Please be wary of promotional scams. Identity thieves may use phony offers asking for your personal information
- Please keep your passwords secret. Some online stores may require you to register with them via a username and password before buying. Online passwords should be kept secret from outside parties the same way you protect your ATM PIN.
- Before you use an ATM, please ensure that there are no strange objects in the insertion panel of the ATM.( to avoid skimming)
- Shield the ATM pin number during transaction. Don’t carry the transaction receipts along.
- Please change your ATM PIN once in every 3 months. As advised by banks.
- Keep your credit card receipts to guard against transaction frauds, check your receipts against your monthly statement.
- Only carry around credit cards that you absolutely need.
- Shred (tear up) any bill / receipt that contain your credit card number written on it.
- Notify your credit card issuers in advance of your change of address, then you change home address.
- If you lose your credit card, please report the loss immediately.
- When you dispose a card at the time of renewal/upgradation, please make sure to cut it diagonally before disposal.
- Don’t accept the card received directly from bank in case if it is damaged or seal is open.
- Don't write your PIN number on your credit card.
- Don't carry around extra credit cards that you rarely use.
- Don’t disclose your Credit Card Number/ATM PIN to anyone.
- Don’t hand over the card to anyone, even if he/she claims to represent the Bank.
- Don’t get carried away by strangers who try to help you use the ATM machine.
- Don’t use the ATM machines if the device is not in good conditions.
- Don’t transfer or share your account details with unknown/non validated source.
- Don’t access Net banking or make payment using your Credit/Debit card from shared or unprotected computers in public places.
- Don’t open unexpected e-mail attachments from unexpected sources or instant message download links. Delete suspicious e-mail immediately.
- Don't give out your account number over the phone unless you initiate the call and you know the company is reputable. Never give your credit card info out when you receive a phone call. ( This is called Vishing )
- Don’t provide your credit card information on a website that is not a secure site.
- Don’t share any confidential information such as password, customer id, Debit card number, Pin, CVV2, DOB to any email requests, even if the request is from government authorities like Income Tax department, RBI or any card association company like VISA or Master card.
- Don’t address or refer to your bank account problems or your account details and password on social networking site or blogs.
- Don’t store critical information like your ATM PIN number on your mobile phone.