Chatting for Children
Chatting refers to the digital communication which enables users to instantly text each other, either individually or in groups over internet.
Users have to be aware about certain cyber threats which can pose a risk to them while chatting.
- Never open, accept, or download a file in Instant Messenger(IM) from strangers, unless you know what the file is.
- Use up-to-date version of your Instant Messenger software for a better protection of your computer against viruses and spyware
- Install high-priority updates, that are offered for your PC by visiting Microsoft update. Also enable automatic updates and ensure to install the updated versions.
- Update the related software patches from Linux Operating System.
- Like email viruses, IM viruses are malicious programs that are designed to travel through IM. Upgrade to updated versions of the applications, which will block attachments that might contain malware and allow you to scan them for viruses. Example : upgrade to Windows Live Messenger from MSN Messenger,. Similarly other Instant Messengers like yahoo etc., should be upgraded.
- Beware of Spim which is a short form of spam over instant messaging; it uses IM platforms to send spam messages over IM. Like email spam messages, a spim message also contains advertisements. It generally contains web links, by clicking to on those links malicious code enters into your PC.
- Keep your antivirus software up-to-date to help you detect and remove IM viruses from your computer.
- Subscription for antivirus software, ensures that your antivirus software updates itself when you're connected to the Internet.
- Installing anti spyware software can help to protect your computer from spyware and remove any spyware you may already have. One can install this software from Windows Defender.