Instant Messaging for Student
Spim is a short form of spam over instant messaging, it uses IM platforms to send spam messages over IM. Like e-mail spam messages, a spim message also contains advertisements. It generally contains web links, by clicking on those links malicious code enters into your PC. Generally, it happens in real time and we need to stop the work and deal with spim as the IM window pop-ups, in the e-mail we have time to delete and we can delete all spam at a time, or we can scan before opening any attachments. This cannot be done in IM.
So avoid opening attachments and links in IM.
Some more risks are as follows :
- The most evident is that your friends can see when you are online and jump into chat, it can be frustrating if you are busy in studies or learning something over Internet.
- Some times from chat rooms the unknown people will jump to chat with you and try to collect all the personal information.
- The voice can be trapped while talking to your friends.
- Text messages containing private, personal information could be sent to the wrong address.
- Text messages containing personal information could be shared with other users. Once the user sends the text, control is lost and it cannot be deleted.
- you could receive unwanted texts, or spam text messages which could contain inappropriate material.
- Criminal are able to hide their identity in Instant messages through a false name, age and some grown up can pretend to be child.
- Some times if you share self pictured photograph that can be received by stranger.
- Some times strangers may offer free gifts through instant message with false information.
- Some times strangers try to trap the you and make friends online and then insist you to meet personally.
- Photos and videos sent to other users can be reproduced, altered, or posted online without your knowledge.
- Photos and videos can reveal a user's appearance and place.
- Video chats can be used to photograph or videotape without his/her knowledge.